April 2, 2022
jalapeno raw cheddar sourdough loaf
*this will be used the night before
Flour for starter feeding 150g (I use organic all purpose)
Water for starter feeding 150g
Flour 1000g (plus some for kneading)
3/4 cup raw cheddar shredded
whole jalapeno [seeds included]
Do you ever have a wild itch to do something different and it turns out amazing?! That was this loaf tonight!
I was making our weekly sourdough loaf for dinner and usually I will make a sweet loaf for us to enjoy for the week too! [my recipe makes two loaves!] Tonight however I looked in the fridge and saw a block of raw cheddar & a jalapeno and thought, "YEP THIS HAS TO HAPPEN!"
I followed my sourdough recipe here up to the shaping part. Before I shaped the dough I shredded my raw cheddar and diced up my jalapeno very small [I only used half a jalapeno this time but will use a full one next time!] I spread out the cheese and jalapenos into each layer before the fold.
Did ya know I worked at einstein bagels for 5 years as a teen?! This loaf brought me all the asiago cheese bagel nostalgia!
THE NIGHT BEFORE TAKE-
150g flour (I use organic all purpose)
150g water (I use my filtered Berkey water)
- Feed your starter in a mason jar or bowl mix all these ingredients and cover with linen towel until morning
- The next morning add your starter and 700g of water to a bowl and mix by hand to make it nice and bubbly.
- Add 1000g of flour on top and then 20g of salt on top of flour (do not let fed starter and salt touch)
- Mix by hand and get it to a thick pancake consistency. Will not look like nice dough yet. Cover and lit sit for 30 min to ferment covered with linen cloth
- Put flour down on counter and dump dough on it. Knead your dough for 6-8 minutes by hand folding your dough over itself over and over again while pushing it away from you
- Put back in bowl place in warm environment (I like to put a coffee mug of water heated for 4 min in my microwave then put the cup in the corner of the microwave to help make it like a proofing box) place bowl of bread in microwave (do not turn microwave on with bread dough inside ever)
- Every hour for the next 4-6 hours you will do a set of letter folding with your bread (sometimes I do it 2x a hour if I remember). To do this just grab one of the four corners of the bowl at a time and lift up as high as it can go while giving it a little shake and then slap it down. Repeat every hour 1-2x
- Take dough out of “proofing box” & place on counter (no flour) and separate into two loaves. Place linen cloth over your dough & let sit for 30 min
- Lay out your dough on the counter by gently stretching it into a square/rectangle shape.
- Take shredded cheese & jalapenos and spread out evenly over loaf. Grab one side of your loaf and overlap to the next side-add more cheese and jalapenos. The goal is to get cheese and jalapenos in each layer before you do the shaping and pulling of the dough.
- Shape your dough by pulling it towards you and keep it tight (you can see this on my insta stories or search on YouTube shaping sourdough)
- Grab your proofing basket (or a wicker basket and linen towel) and place sourdough upside down in it. Make sure you sprinkle flour down first so it doesn't stick
- Turn oven on to 450 with Dutch oven in it to preheat
- Place dough in proofing boxes back in your “proofing box” or the fridge for 1 hour while Dutch oven is heating in oven. Your Dutch oven very hot before dough goes in makes the best crunch with your bread
- Place parchment paper on counter with a small amount of flour dump one loaf on it score your bread (use a razor blade to do this)
- Place dough into Dutch oven with lid on for 25 min and 15 min with lid off
- Remove sourdough from oven and place on counter to cool
- Now take other loaf out of proofing box and repeat same steps in oven
- Let dough sit for at least 30 min before cutting into it!